We currently have the following instruments available through the Center for Biomolecular Engineering. Inquiries regarding training and use should be directed to Ryan Hall (email@example.com).
1. OLYMPUS FV1000 Confocal Microscope
The Olympus FV1000 confocal microscope delivers high resolution images necessary for the multi-dimensional observation of cell and tissue morphology. It has the following capabilities:
Excellent Precision, Sensitivity, and Stability to enable precise bright imaging with minimum photoxicity
- Diode Laser: 405 nm, 440 nm, 473 nm, 559 nm, 635 nm
- Gas laser: 458 nm, 488 nm, 515 nm,
- Can be used with tissue culture dishes, slide chambers, microplates and glass slides for live cells and fixed specimens
Two versions of light detection systems
- Spectral Based Detection
- Filter Based Detection
- Simultaneous Laser Light Stimulation
- Diffusion measurement and Molecular Interaction Analysis
- Light Stimulation: FRAP/FLIP/Photoactivation/Photoconversion/Uncaging
- Multi-Dimensional Time-Lapse
- 3D Mosaic Imaging
- Multi-Color Imaging
- 3D/4D Volume Rendering
2. Agilent 730 Axial ICP-OES
Elemental analysis in various conditions:
- Gd, Mn, Fe in nanoparticles or in animal organs (for biodistribution)
- Pb and Cd in consumer goods (toys, jewelry and clothing).
- N/P/K, S/Ca/Mg in fertilizers
- S, P, Ca, Mg, Na, and K in biodiesel
- Major, minor and toxic elements in foods, beverages and agricultural samples
- Elements in pharmaceuticals
- Trace impurities in high purity Cu
3. ChemiDoc XRS+ System
The ChemiDoc XRS+ System uses CCD high resolution, high sensitivity technology to support multiple detection methods including:
The system accomodates a wide array of samples (polyacrylamide gels to small agarose gels, and various blots). The system is ideal for PCR, purification, and electrophoresis systems, allowing for documentation of restriction digets, amplified nucleic acids, genetic fingerprinting, RFLPs, and protein purification and characterization.
3. Mastercycler RealPlex2 from Eppendorf
The Mastercycler is a small instrument to be used for real-time PCR. The machine contains a 96-well heating block, which allows for rapid thermal cycling, thus reducing experiment time. Standard 40 cycle Taqman assays can be run in 80 min, including data generation. The RealPlex2 contains two filters, which allow for fluorescence monitoring at 520 and 550 nm. This makes the machine compatible with most reporting dyes (SYBR Green I, FAM, JOE and VIC). Picogreen assays can be performed to quantify cDNA after reverse transcription.
4. Anton Paar Litesizer 500
Anton Paar Litesizer 500 has the capability to measure particle size, zeta potential, molecular mass and transmittance by light scattering technology.