BS/MS Application Process

Applications to the BS/MS Program must be made after the completion of 75 credit hours of coursework and prior to attaining senior status (completion of 90 credit hours). Normally, this means that students will submit applications in the sixth semester of the BSE program (usually the Spring semester of the junior year). The application deadline for the fall semester is March 1st and November 1st for the spring semester.

Two advantages to our BSE/BS students applying for the BS/MS Program over the standard MS program are:

  • No application fee is required
  • The GRE exam is not required.

The Case School of Engineering (CSE) sets the minimum GPA for admission to the BS/MS Program at 3.00. Individual departments may set a higher minimum GPA. The applicant should check this with the EECS Graduate Coordinator or the BS/MS Advisor.

Applications to the BS/MS Program is done through the School of Graduate Studies.  Go to the Graduate Studies Application page.  Click on the "Online Application" button on the right hand side of the page and follow the indicated process.  There will be a check box in the on-line application asking for which degree you are applying.  It is important that you check "B.S./M.S" and not "M.S." or "Ph.D." at this point.

The complete application package will include the following.  Some of these are electronically submitted and some are manually submitted.

  • The application form (electronic)
  • A Statement of Objectives (electronic)
  • Three letters of recommendation (electronic)
  • An approved Program of Study. (manual)

The application form, Letters of Recommendation and the Statement of Objectives are done through the on-line application.

Several individuals are very important to the manual submission of the official Case transcript and the approved Program of Study.  These are:

  • The EECS Coordinator for Student Affairs is Heather Smith. Her office is located in the EECS central office on the 3rd floor of Glennan.
  • Prof. Ming-Chun Huang is the B.S./M.S. Program Advisor for M.S. degrees in Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering. His office is Glennan 514B.
  • Prof. Vincenzo Liberatore is the B.S./M.S. Program Advisor for M.S. degrees in Computer Science. His office is Olin 506.

What should be put on the Program of Study form?

The Program of Study must list the courses (research and classes) that will be counted for the MS degree (minimum of 30 hours) and which semester they will be taken.  The courses listed are typically:

  • 18 credit hours of classes
  • 9 credit hours of thesis (EECS 651)
  • 3 flexible credit hours of either thesis or coursework


1. Up to nine hours of GRADUATE courses can be double-counted toward both the MS and BSE requirements. The courses to be double-counted are to be indicated on the Program of Study.

2. Starting Fall 2012, EECS 500 is no longer required for M.S. or B.S./M.S. students.

The Program of Study is a contract between you and the university.  However, it is expected that you may need to change one or more classes and/or when they will be taken during the course of your B.S./M.S. program. The School of Graduate Studies requires that such changes be submitted on a Program of Study Change form and approved in writing as they occur.

When a student is admitted to the BS/MS Program, he/she will be advised by the appropriate program advisor until the student selects a research advisor who will supervise their thesis work.  At that time the student should notify the EECS Office of Student Affairs which will then officially make the research advisor the student's advisor.

What should be done with the Program of Study form?

  1. Download the Program of Study Form.
  2. Complete it with the assistance of the BS/MS program advisor and get her/his signature.

  3. Upload the electronic Program of Study form with your application to Graduate Studies.
  4. Take a physical copy of the Program of Study form to Dean Anderson, in the Undergraduate office, for approval.

  5. Dean Anderson will review the form and email an approved copy to you and to the School of Graduate Studies.  (this may take several weeks)

  6. The program to which you applied will make their decision.

  7. The School of Graduate Studies will process the official decision.