The department has a New Image Processing Laboratory for development of automatic visual inspection methods for pavements, structures and other materials. Equipment available includes:
- Spectral Dynamics Corp. SD330A Real Time Spectrometer
- Ariel DSP-16 2-channel, 16-bit A/D system with 2 megabytes of memory/50kHZ conversion rate
- Ariel TMS320025 Processing Board for real time FFT
- Matrox MVP-AT Display System with 1024 x 1024 pixel display with 16.7 million simultaneous colors (with NP accelerator)
- PC/AT 486 and Pentium class computers with interconnection to Data Acquisition equipment
- HP Scanner
- Spin Physics SP2000 High speed video camera and recorder. Maximum recording speed of 12000 frames/second.
Over 30 various video cameras with both CCD and tube sensors and a wide range of image speeds and luminosity requirements are available. Both color and black/white systems in standard RS-170, NTSC, RGB, and high resolution formats are used in the lab.